The city of Zavodoukovsk was founded in 1729. It is situated on a tributary
of the Tobol, a river called Bolshoi Uk. The origin of the name Uk probably
lies with the Tatar word «arrow». Through Zavodoukovsk passes a rail road built
in early twentieth century. The population of the city numbers 25,1 thousand
people, estimated on 2009. The main industrial enterprises are an engineering
plant and a garment factory. The city has a hydropathyc establishment with
thermal mineral springs. In the second half of the eighteenth century wine making
was introduced in the south of the Tobol province.
During the Second World War Voronezh aircraft factory and Moscow air force
school #1 and S. Komatov studied, were evacuated lo Zavodoukovsk.
Zavodoukovsk regional museum
The museum was opened in 1989. It displays exhibits devoted to history, peasant
life, nature of the land, the city's role in the Great Patriotic War and to
the people whose fortunes were connected with the city.
In 1941 the design department #31 of the Voronezh aircraft factory headed
by an aircraft designer Alexander Moskalev was evacuated to Zavodoukovsk. Its
biggest achievement - during the evacuation period was the design and construction
of the first ever jet airplane - BI-1 fighter jet. In 1945 the design department
moved to Leningrad where Moskalev brought some of his colleagues from Zavodoukovsk
with whom he came to work well together.
Yulia Drunina and Zavodoukovsk
In 1942 a yesterday's school-girl and a future poetess Yulia Drunina left
Zavodoukovsk for the front-line. In the waryears herfamily was evacuated here.
Drunina's father taught history at a local school. After the war the poetess
often came to Zavodoukovsk where her father is buried. The regional museum keeps
scarce photographs and people's recollections of those meetings.