- Name of the state: Republic of Lithuania
- State flag: Tricolour: yellow, green, red State emblem:
- Location: situated in the very centre of Europe. The geographical centre
of Europe is in the district of Vilnius, 26 km from the city of Vilnius, in
the direction of Moletai, near Purnuskes and Bernotai mound.
- State language: Lithuanian
- State capital: Vilnius
- Monetary unit: Litas, 1 litas is worth 100 cents
- Head of the state: President Dalia Grybauskaite
- Total area: 65,300 sq. km
- Population: Around 3,340,000 (83,1% Lithuanians, 4,8% Russians, 6% Poles,
6% other nationalities)
- Religion: Roman Catholic.
- Density - 52 people/km2 *
- Time zone UTC +2 Summer time - UTC +3
- Internet code - .It
- Country phone code - +370
- Member of the European Union since May 1, 2004.
- Member of NATO since March 29, 2004.
- 68.5 % of the population live in cities. Approximately 99.6 % of the population
above the age of 15 are literate.
- Bordering on: Latvia (610 km), Belarus (677 km), Poland (104 km), Russia
(Kaliningrad region) (255km), the Baltic sea (90 km).
- Highest peak: Juozapine Hill (293.6 m)
- Longest river: The Nemunas (937 km, 475 km in the trainings of Lithuania)
- Largest lake: Druksiai (44.79 km2)
For the first time, Lithuania was mentioned in written sources in 1009. The
unification of Lithuanian dukedoms into one state started in late 12th-early
13th c. The final unification of Lithuanian and other Baltic tribes was completed
by the first Lithuanian Duke Mindaugas, later the King of Lithuania.
Largest cities of Lithuania: Population
- Vilnius - 548 835
- Kaunas - 348 624
- Klaipeda - 182 752
- Siauliai - 125 453
State holidays (days off):
- January 01 - New Year, Day of Lithuanian Flag;
- February 16.- Independence Day
- March 11 - Restoration of Lithuania's Independence;
- May 01 - International Labour Day;
- June 24 -St. John’s Day (Midsummer Day);
- July 06 - Coronation of King Mindaugas and Statehood Day; August 15 - Assumption
- November 01 - All Saint’s Day;
- 12 24 - Christmas Eve December 25-26 - Christmas.
In Lithuania, traffic drives on the right side. Within the city, the speed
limit is 50 km/h., out of town it is 90 km/ h. On highways the speed limit is
130 km/h from April 1 to November 1, and 110 km/h from November 1 to April
Mobile service providers
There are several mobile service providers in Lithuania. The cards of advanced
payment are available in every newsagent, most of the shopping centers or gas
sta-tions. The cards or receipts cost from 5 Lt.
Interurban phone codes
- Alytus 315
- Birstonas 319
- Siauliai 41
- Druskininkai 313
- Jonava 349
- Kaisiadorys 346
- Kaunas 37
- Kedainiai 347
- Klaipeda 46
- Marijampole 343
- Nida 469
- Palanga 460
- Panevezys 45
- Prienai 319
- Raseiniai 428
- Taurage 446
- Telsiai 444
- Trakai 528
- Utena 389
- Vilnius 5.