Cultural tourism in Russia > Yaroslavl
region > Tutaev
The first settlement appeared on the right bank of the Volga river just after
the invasion of Yaroslavl by Tatar-Mongols in winter 1238. A number of inhabitants
had escaped from the city trying to save themselves and settled in the frightful
Black Forest nearly 35-37 miles away from Yaroslavl.
The merchant Afanasi Nikitin stopped in Romanov before leaving for his "journey
across three seas".
In the middle of XV century Romanov belonged to Maria Yaroslavna, the mother
of Ivan III.
In 1563 Tsar Ivan the Terrible gave Romanov to the tatars who served to Russian
In the Time of Troubles and foreign intervention of XVII century many fights
took place near the town. In the middle of XVII century the town became the
centre of the church split.Priest Lazar, an outstanding figure of Old Belief,
conducted a service in the church of the Intercession. Later he was burned to
death together with priest Abbakum, the head of the splitters? In a log house
The town really blossomed in the period after the Polish-Lithuanian invasion.
Borisoglebskaya Sloboda became a supplier of fresh river fish for the tsar's
court. In 1627, 9 merchants of 23 were trading fish.
In XVII century Duke Biron, a favourite of Empress Anna loannovna, spent some
time in the house of the Dergalovs as the legend has it.
In XVII-XVIII centuries the residents of Romanov actively traded in grain
and salt, built boats called "Romanovki". These boats aroused Peter's
the Great interest. He ordered to replace all the boats of old design by new
Our town won fame due to the Romanov onion, which, as they say, "cures
seven diseases". Romanov is the home of a new breed of sheep, distinguished
for its fine fleece and delicious meat.
In 1777 Borisoglebskaya Sloboda became a town.
Romanov and Borisoglebsk were two separate towns for 45 years. In 1822 according
to the tsar's decree they were united under the new name Romanov-Borisoglebsk.
XIX century is the second golden age of the town. It became a well-known merchant
and trade town on the Volga river.
In 1918 the town was renamed Tutaev in the memory of the Red Army man, llya Tutaev,
who was killed during the rebellion in Yaroslavl.
During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 22 thousand men from Tutaev went
to the front line. Five of them were given the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union.
Like precious pearls beaded on a blue string, ancient towns are shining on
the main street of Russia-the beautiful Volga River. Among these jewels, a small
gem sparkles on its high banks. This is Romanov-Borisoglebsk, now Tutaev, a
town on the seven hills, seven springs, and seven ravines...
Beautiful sights of the town Tutaev
The tourist centre "Romanov-Borisoglebsk" arranges national-dress
meetings and excursions. The journey to the provinces. Left bank.
Observation excursion'about the town: earth walls, the Cathedral of the Exaltation
of the Cross, a former Spasskaya Square, the Church of Transfiguration and Kazan
Virgin, Kustodiev boulevard, the Tutaev branch of the Yaroslavl Museum of arts.
Stone beauties of Romanov. Left bank. The Cathedral of the Exaltation of the
Cross, the Church of Transfiguration and Kazan Virgin, Kustodiev boulevard,
the place where B.M.Kustodiev made sketches of his pictures, the Church of the
The pearl of the province. Right bank. Standing on a high steep bank of the
Volga river you will enjoy a beautiful panorama of the left bank with its imposing
churches. To the accompaniment of Romanov bells.
An excursion to the Cathedral of the Exaltation of the Cross, earth walls,
and the bell foundry.
The way to the bell foundry goes through Leontievskaya Square, where the Church
of Ascension is situated.
The bell foundry was created in Tutaev in 1992. The director, Nikolai Aleksandrovich
Shuvalov, was the first to apply old bell-founding technology in modern production.
Shuvalov's hand-made bells are the best in Russia. The bells made by talented
masters are ringing in many cities of Russia and foreign countries.
The road to "Cosmos". An excursion to the Cathedral of the Resurrection
of Christ, the Tutaev branch of the Yaroslavl Museum of arts, and "Cosmos"
museum in Nikulskoe village.
Unique in Tutaev
Fond of Sorros granted the Tutaev branch of the Yaroslavl Museum of Arts in
2000 for its unique exposition "House on Novinskaya Street", which
tells us about a provincial way of life. There are new expositions in the museum:
"Museum of Provincial Bank", "The Romanov sheep is the Golden
Fleece of Russia".
"Provincial Bank". The exposition is located in
the building of a bank built in 1864. In its halls you will see everything connected
with banking, including money of different epochs.
"House on Novinskaya Street". Here you will learn
how people of Romanov lived at the end of XIX century.
"Ethnographical Museum". It is located in the secondary
school №6. Here you will get acquainted with the objects telling about the Russian
way of life in XIX century, you will see traditional works of art and unique
bobbin lace, very popular in Romanov in XVII-XIX centuries.
"Syroezhin Museum". It is located in the lyceum
№1; where many different exhibitions of craftsmen's works take place.
Museum "House of Nature". You will meet with lovely
pets and enjoy watching aquarium fishes.
Sheep Museum. Here you will see articles made of Romanov sheepskin
and many other interesting things.
Museum "Cosmos". It is located in Nikulskoe village
near Yaroslavl-Uglich road. The exposition is dedicated to the life of V.V.Tereshkova
and achievements of space exploration. Valentina Vladimirovna often visits our
town and always has time to visit this museum.
An excursion to Buchin Museum of Popular Education is arranged for all comers.
Church of the Intercession (1674) is one of the most ancient
monuments. The interior of the church contains a few books and icons. The icon
of the Virgin "Addition of Intellect" is very popular among pupils
and students. It was allegedly painted by an insane artist on the occasion of
appearance of the Virgin. After the icon had been, finished he became healthy,
(n the middle of XVII priest Lazar, who later was burned to death in Pustozersk,
conducted a service in the church.
The Trinity Church (1783) is erected on the last of the seven
hills of Romanov. Formerly, noblemen 'and honoured citizens were buried in its
graveyard. Earlier this graveyard used to be a place for trade and fairs. Situated
in the northern part of Romanov, it is a one-storied structure of refectory
type with a tall tent shaped belfry.
Church of the Ascension (1795). The church site is called
"Leontyevskaya" in the memory of St Leonti Church which stood there.
The main relic of the church was the icon of St Paraskeva- a patronage of trade
and young ladies (now it is kept in the Church of the Intercession). According
to the legend, the icon played an important role during the Polish-Lithuanian
invasion. When the Polish troops tried to besiege the town, the people of Romanov
brought the icon towards the enemy and it blinded them, and they ran away in
Church of Saviour- Archangel (1751 -1770). In 1855 the church
was turned over to the Old Believers. Its parish had almost 1200 people. It
was the richest and largest church after the Cathedral of the Resurrection of
Christ. St Church of St Amafuntsky (1914) was erected later than the rest of
the churches. Its architect was M.Barenkin.lt was built by the means of Old
Believers, many famous merchant families were among them. It is a one-storied
building, but very light and spacious, with large windows.
The Church of the Annunciation on the right-bank side of
the town was built by Moscow masters in 1660. It was partly destroyed, but since
the year of 2001 services are conducted there. The main church relic was the
icon of "the Virgin of Don" highly respected by people (now it is
kept in theCathedral of the Resurrection of Christ). In 1771 it saved the town
from the epidemic.
Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ (1652-1675) is the
chief decoration of the town. It can compete with the biggest cathedrals of
Moscow and Yaroslavl in size and exterior decoration. It was erected in 1652
on the high Volga bank. It is the visual centre of the right bank buildings.
As the legend goes, in the times of Ivan the Terrible there was a wooden church
in honour of Saint Boris and Gleb on this site. The place of its former altar
now is occupied by a stone pillar topped with a cross. A stone cathedral was
erected by the efforts of the parishioners and the merchant Kotlovanov, At first
a tent shaped church was built in honour of Odigriya Virgin, but "the tops
split because of the domes' weight". The main relic of the cathedral is
the miracle-working icon "The Image of the Saviour the Merciful".
According to the legend, its author was St. Dionisi Glushitski.
Cathedral of the Exaltation of the Cross is the oldest church
of the town. It was built on the site of the former wooden church, which was
erected on the left bank by the Prince of Uglich in 1280. A stone cathedral
was built in 1658. Its construction took almost 100 years, which were full of
unpleasant events: Polish-Lithuanian invasion and the epidemic of plague and
cholera. After its complete construction the cathedral became almost Resurrection
of Christmas unassailable with its high earth walls, wooden wall seven high
watchtowers around the periphery, a wic moat filled with water and a drawbridge.
In 1622 i wooden fortifications burnt down. A rare image of Sail Czech Princess
Lyudmila is preserved on the frescos in the cathedral.
Church of Transfiguration and Kaza Virgin (1758) is the visiting
card of the town. According to the legend, th first sanctified stone laid in
the foundation of the churc before its construction, shifted at night to the
present sit of the church. They say it was God's Will. On the origin; place
they erected a belfry. As another legend goes, th river was washing away the
bank, and in order to protec it the people of Romanov took one stone from ever
passing-by ship. The sailors got the remission of sins for and the Romanovs
collected enough stones to reinforc the bank, pave the pier, three slopes to
the Volga rive and the market-place in the centre of the town. The ico "the
Virgin of Kazan" highly respected by the populatio of Romanov was in the
church until 1609. Now the ico is in Yaroslavl, and the exact copy of it was
brought t Romanov. Onufri the Blessed was buried in the belfry. / prayer on
his grave helps to relieve a headache and toothache.
Charming views of South-European taiga
icturesque landscapes of the ancient Russian town on the Volga river always
inspired artists and poets to create their masterpieces. Spectacular views of
Romanov nature attracted cinematographers to our town. Many famous Russian films
had been shot in Tutaev: "Twelve chairs", "Call me to the bright
distance", "The crew", "Tender age", "The ravines",
"The charmed wanderer", "Banya", "Russian revolt",
"At the corner of Patriarshih", "Afanasy Nikitin", "And
we were in silence", "Family life scenes", "People like
rivers", "On the mountain there is a mountain"," A Will",
There are 8 monuments of nature on the territory of the district. One of them
is a Saint spring near the Kovat river. The spring is important for a study
of earth's natural processes. Its history is very interesting and the area around
the spring is very beautiful.
The district has a valuable natural potential with rich flora and fauna. There
are many endangered species of animals and plants included in the Red Book in
our region. Unique bogs, springs, old country estates, bare earth layers, and
forests are under protection.
Great People of Romanov-Borisoglebsk (Tutaev)
Russian land is rich in talented people. Many of them are proud to have been
born in our town.
Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova
Tutaev is the native land of the Soviet cosmonaut, the woman of XX century,
Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova"Our sea-gull"-this is how people
fondly call her.
Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova was born in Maslennikovo village of the
Tutaev district. She was the first woman in space, orbiting the earth 48 times
in 71 hours in the spacecraft Vostok 6 on the 16th of June in 1963.
Other famous people of Tutaev:
- L. P. Sabaneev — the author of the book "Fishes of Russia";
- N. M. Belonogov, an artist.
- Dimitri Mendeleev, the creator of the Periodic Table, worked at the Konstantinovsky
Plant of Russian mineral oils in 1881. He was the author of the most perfect
oil-refining technology in those times.
- F. I. Shalyapin, a great Russian singer, visited Romanov-Borisoglebsk,
he even began singing in delight in the garden of the town college, and then-
in the nearest field.
- A. N. Ostrovsky, a celebrated playwright, read here his comedy "Lucrative
- V. A. Gilyarovsky, a famous writer and journalist, who was interested in
the life of barge-haulers and tramps.