Tourism in Russia
> Moscow region
Mozhaysk municipal district is located in the far west of Moscow region in
the upper reaches of the Moskva River. Its area is 2,614 square km. 69,400 people
live in two urban and 9 rural settlements. There are 359 inhabited localities
in the district.
The district centre is Mozhaysk, one of the most ancient towns in Podmoskov'e.
It was first mentioned in the Russian chronicles as far back as XIII century.
Joint to Moscow principality in 1303 Mozhaysk was a fortress on its western
boundaries for a long time. In XVI century it was one of the largest towns of
Moskovskaya Rus'. It had sovereign's court, empress' chambers, patriarch's court,
a lot of churches and cloisters. Ivan the Terrible, Boris Godunov often visited
Thanks to the greatly honored sacred icon of St. Nicholas, Mozhaysk was one
of the orthodox centres of the country.
In 1624-1626 a stone Kremlin was built in Mozhaysk and remained there until
the end of XVIII century, then it was taken to pieces but retained in the town
coat of arms.
Mozhaysk was often in the centre of military events and suffered from the
attacks of the Tatars, Lithuanians and at the beginning of XVII century from
the Polish intervention. 12 km west off Mozhaysk there's a famous Borodino Field,
where the main fighting in the Patriotic War of 1812 took place. The Russian
army lead by M. Kutuzov beat off the attacks of Napoleon's army where there
were soldiers from 20 European countries. Now Borodino
is a world famous Museum-Reserve.