On the main page
Deutsche VersionEnglish VersionБългарска версияWersja Polska

Cities of Russia
Irkutsk
Goryatchiy Klyutch
Kaliningrad
Kaluga
Kirov
Moscow
Nizhny Novgorod
Pskov
Saint-Petersburg
Tver
Veliky Novgorod
Veliky Ustug
Vologda
Regions
Adygea
Altai
Arkhangelsk region
Buryatia
Chechnya
Chelyabinsk region
Kaliningrad region
Karachay-Cherkessia
Kamchatka
Kirov region
Khabarovsk Territory
Komi Rebublic
Kostroma region
Krasnodar region
Krasnoyarsk region
Leningrad region
Moscow region
Murmansk region
North Ossetia
Novgorod region
Penza region
Perm region
Pskov region
Rostov region
Siberia
Stavropol region
Tatarstan
Tver region
Tyumen region
Tula region
Vladimir region
Vologda region
Yakutia
Yaroslavl region
Hotels of Russia
Hotels of Moscow
Tours to Russia
Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp
Over the world
Africa
Algeria
Cambodia
China
Croatia
France
Hungary
Italy
Lithuania
Norway
Spain
Sri Lanka
Thailand
Turkey

 

The Epiphany Cathedral

Tourism in Russia > Irkutsk > The Epiphany Cathedral

The Epiphany Cathedral

The initial wooden temple was built in 1693. It was burned down in a great fire of 1716. On the means collected from citizens in July, 1718 the stone cathedral temple was put. The warm northern side-altar for the sake of Peter and Pavel –was the first to consecrate on May, 12th, 1724.The Second side-altar, for the sake of Ioann Voin, arranged under a belltower, was consecrated on July, 22nd, 1729.Innokenty Kulchitsky was the first Irkutsk bishop. The building of the main cold temple was stretched for more than 20 years; it was consecrated for the sake of Epiphany only on September, 25th, 1746.The Iconostasis was created by NikonKrasovsky who was ahierodeacon. It is supposed that Vasiliy Gariaev built a cathedral , he was a journeyman of stone affairs he also participated in a construction VerhoturskyTroitsk cathedral which is considered to be an analog of Irkutsk cathedral of Epiphany. Near to a cathedral the stone belltower constructed in 1812-1815 settles down.
In a cathedral of Epiphany the tomb of Irkutsk bishops was arranged, St. SofronyKristalevsky, Michael Mitkevich, VeniaminBagrjansky, Michael Burdukov, John Smirnov were buried here.
In 1934 the cathedral was closed. Till 1968 in its walls there was a shop of a bakery and a dormitory. In 1994 the cathedral was returned to the Irkutsk diocese. Now the original form as a whole is returned to the building.
Street Suhe-Batora, 1а

 
Booking of hotels in Russia Search for cheap flights
 Hotels of Russia Cheap tickets