Tourism in Russia
> Irkutsk > Church of Our
Church of Our Savior
The Church of Our Savior was built in 1706 and consecrated in June 1710. It
is the oldest stone building in Eastern Siberia. It is located on the site where
the first Irkutsk fortress stood. The first residents of the town were buried
near the church’s walls. The building is an example of Siberian baroque style.
Its architect’s name is Moisey Dolgikh, a Moscow mason who participated in the
construction of Tobolsk Cathedral. This church is the first restored architectural
monument in Irkutsk. The architect Galina Oranskaya and her team restored not
only the building, but also the precious frescos on the outer walls. After the
restoration (which lasted 13 years) the church housed the Regional Lore Museum.
In 2006 the church was returned to the believers. Street Suhe-Batora, 2