On the main page
Deutsche VersionEnglish VersionБългарска версияWersja Polska

Cities of Russia
Irkutsk
Goryatchiy Klyutch
Kaliningrad
Kaluga
Kirov
Moscow
Nizhny Novgorod
Pskov
Saint-Petersburg
Tver
Veliky Novgorod
Veliky Ustug
Vologda
Regions
Adygea
Altai
Arkhangelsk region
Buryatia
Chechnya
Chelyabinsk region
Kaliningrad region
Karachay-Cherkessia
Kamchatka
Kirov region
Khabarovsk Territory
Komi Rebublic
Kostroma region
Krasnodar region
Krasnoyarsk region
Leningrad region
Lipetsk region
Moscow region
Murmansk region
North Ossetia
Novgorod region
Penza region
Perm region
Pskov region
Rostov region
Siberia
Stavropol region
Tatarstan
Tver region
Tyumen region
Tula region
Vladimir region
Vologda region
Voronezh region
Yakutia
Yaroslavl region
Hotels of Russia
Hotels of Moscow
Tours to Russia
Reindeer Herders’ Winter Camp
Over the world
Africa
Algeria
Argentina
Australia
Azerbaijan
Cambodia
China
Croatia
France
Hungary
Italy
Lithuania
Norway
Romania
Spain
Sri Lanka
Thailand
Turkey
Barberino Val D'elsa

Italy > Barberino Val D'elsa

Barberino Val D'elsa

After the re-routing of the pilgrims' way, the Via Francigena, through Florence in the fourteenth century, pilgrims looked forward to the sight of the gates of Barberino and their well-earned rest. The town, stretched out along the Via Cassia, had a hospital, now housing the Library, many inns and churches for physical and spiritual replenishment. Everything shone again because Barberino was a new town, born from the destruction by the Florentines of the nearby powerful town of Semifonte in 1202. Materials from the ruins were used to build a second Barberino following the plan of an elliptical wall, two gates and a long main street. The fourteenth century building fabric can still be seen to this day, with tower-houses, the tall, robust building, also known as 'Palagetto', and the Praetorian Palace The only exception is the church of S.

A neo-Gothic whim

Pilgrims taking the road to the Val d'Elsa and Siena, shortly arrived at the parish church of St. Appian, one of the oldest churches in the Florentine countryside, and which today shows an original part (11th century) flanked by the late Romanesque (12th century) part. The distinction is not difficult: the former is made of stone, the later in brick. Annexed to the church is an Antiquarium housing Etruscan remains found in the area and paintings of sacred subjects.

The former town of Semifonte is commemorated in a unique way; in 1597, a dome similar to that of the Brunelleschi Duomo of Florence, but eight times smaller, was built as a sort of warning to those who dared challenge the supremacy of the City of the Lily. Having been completely destroyed, the Florentines decreed that Semifonte should be abandoned and never rebuilt. A modern day third millennium project plans to turn this, together with other surrounding areas, small drops in an ocean of wonders, into a landscaped park.

Reason for awarding the Orange Flag The area stands out for its natural environment, the old town is well maintained and characteristic and offers many opportunities for people to appreciate the local food tradition.

 
Booking of hotels in Russia Search for cheap flights
 Hotels of Russia Cheap tickets