Tourism in Russia
> Irkutsk > The History
Department Irkutsk Museum of Regional Studies
The History Department Irkutsk Museum of Regional Studies
The East-Siberian Branch of the Emperor’s Russian Geographical Society (The
History Department Irkutsk Museum of Regional Studies)
The museum was founded in 1782 and is considered to be one of the oldest museums
in Russia. The Siberian branch of the Russian Geographical Society, to which
the museum was handed in 1854, was opened in Irkutsk in 1851. After the fire
of 1879 the old museum building perished together with its rich collections
and exhibits. The present building was constructed in 1882-1883 by architect
Henri Rosen. The funds for the construction were partly allotted by the government
and partly donated by merchants Trapeznikov, Khaminov, Sibiryakov and Sievers.
The museum complex includes the museum building itself, the library and the
gate, all built in Moorish style. The funds were raised by Governor General
Dmitry Anouchin who was then elected as President of the East-Siberian Department
of the Russian Geographical Society.
Friezes are decorated with the names of world-famous explorers of Siberia
- Bering, Wrangel, Georgi, Gmelin, Humboldt, Krasheninnikov, Ledebur, Messerschmidt,
Middendorff, Miller, Pallas, Steller, Maack, Maksimovich, Nordenskjold, Przewalski,
Turchaninov and Cherski.
K. Marksa street, 2